S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page
A Bulletin Board for Modellers of the South East : Copyright PMG 2007

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FR IX (That Damn Pink Spitfire) - 1/48 ICM plus bitz

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Aircraft Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gmahoney

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:21 pm    Post subject: FR IX (That Damn Pink Spitfire) - 1/48 ICM plus bitz Reply with quote

Completed this one along with the Hunter as part of the Photo Reece display which is was contribution to our club display at Model Expo a couple of weeks ago.

Basically it is the ICM kit which I was donated less the engine (and therefore exhaust stacks) and the seat. So the seat came from Ultracast, as did the wingtips, spinner and propellor blades, and the exhaust stacks came from Red Roo. The decals are from Barracudecals and the camera glass in the fuselage side was cut out and a spare landing light lens from an Academy P-38 proved to be the right size.

That was the easy part....then came the colour. If anyone has researched the subject, the colour of late war PRU Pink is the source of much debate, argument and discussion. After reading as much as I could find and studying what few images exist of these 16 Sqn machines I mixed my own brew of white, red and light grey.

The finished subject is the end result of about 3 or 4 attempts at getting in my view a 'right' pink. The under wing invasion stripes were over painted so as to just leave faint images as on the real thing. I then applied various oil paint filters as well as weathered the airframe using more oils, Pigments, washes and an artist pen for the chipping. The whole thing was completed with a couple of coats of Gunze flat clear

And again, a black and white image

Post new topic   Reply to topic    S.E Melbourne Scale Modelling Page Forum Index -> Aircraft Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: